Automotive Lighting Circuits Board
This hands on-learning resource allows students to build a variety of automotive lighting circuits using a range of on-board components. Used in conjunction with our automotive cloud-based learning content, students are set tasks that encourage them to explore circuits practically to help develop their understanding of electrical components, circuits and systems. The resource is also focused on the development of diagnostic and fault-finding skills using real test equipment.
The optional cloud-based learning resources also offer supporting material in the form of presentations, investigations and assessments to underpin the practical tasks carried out.
Practical topics covered include:
- Interior light circuits
- Brake (stop) circuit
- Reverse (back up) circuit
- Dip/main (lo/hi) beam circuit
- Hazard warning circuit
- Direction indicator (turn signal) circuit
- Side and rear (park and tail) circuits
- Introduction to headlamp circuits
- Relay circuits
Typical activities include:
- Use a multimeter to investigate a simple vanity light circuit.
- Troubleshoot a faulty vanity light circuit with a multimeter.
- Build an interior light circuit operated by a door contact and add a manual override.
- Troubleshoot a faulty brake (stop) light circuit with a multimeter.
- Investigate a reversing (back up) light circuit with a multimeter.
- Troubleshoot a faulty dip/main (lo/hi) beam circuit.
- Investigate how a flasher unit works.
- Construct a hazard warning circuit.
- Troubleshoot a faulty hazard warning circuit with a multimeter.
- Troubleshoot a faulty direction indicator (turn signal) circuit.
- Troubleshoot a faulty side and rear (park and tail) circuit.
- Construct a relay-operated headlamp circuit.
- Build a complete vehicle lighting system.
The circuit board provides the following features:
- On-board mimic of a car, with access to the following circuit components:
- 12V battery
- Fuse (resettable)
- Two relays
- Flasher unit
- Six different types of switches
- Interior light
- Dashboard lights
- Brake (stop) lights
- Reverse (back up) lights
- Headlamp circuits with dip/main (lo/hi) beams
- Direction indicator (turn signal) lights
- Side and rear (park and tail) lights
Note that this resource requires a 707-01 Autotronics Accessory Pack.